Our teeth work hard and are constantly under assault. It’s no wonder that nature encases them with an armor of enamel—the hardest substance in the body. At Hope Mills Dental, we help our patients take care of theirs with regular cleanings and check ups.
Enamel erosion is omnipresent, though largely preventable. Enamel’s chief enemies are acidic foods and beverages. Other factors that can weaken enamel or wear it away are some medications, tooth grinding, acid reflux, gastrointestinal conditions, chewing ice or other hard substances, and eating disorders.
At Hope Mills Dental, we educate our patients about how to keep their enamel strong and prevent additional erosion if some has already occurred.
Here are five quick facts about enamel erosion:
1. Enamel is unlike many other tissues in the body; once it is gone, it can’t be regenerated.
2. According to the NIH, 41% of teenagers already have enamel erosion.
3. Aggressive brushing can hurt enamel.
4. Diet sodas, sports drinks, and energy drinks are just as dangerous as sugared sodas.
5. Dry mouth can weaken enamel because it results in less saliva which helps keep enamel healthy and strong.
If you have already experienced enamel erosion, it’s vital to do something about it. There are several dental procedures that can protect the teeth that have been harmed. Call Hope Mills Dental today at 910-716-0102 to schedule an examination. We provide general and cosmetic dentistry.
Contact Hope Mills Dental:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):